Saturday, January 28, 2012

Huge surprise....Stefano di Fillipo and Olga Urumova split up!

Wow....just when this super pair was getting so good. I just found out that Stefano di Fillipo and Olga Urumova split up! I am very sad about  this news, but happy to hear that Stefano will be returning onto the dance floor.


Stefano di Fillipo and Olga Urmova at International Championships 2011
Photo credit: Volgyi Attila

The pair was ranked number 5 at Blackpool in 2011. I noticed that although they have technically been dancing for 2 1/2 years, they weren't a pair that consistently competed in every competition, which was probably due to Stefano's hectic dance schedule on the Italian version of Dancing with the Stars, Ballando con le stelle. 

When someone splits up with their partner, it becomes more difficult to move up the ranks in dance competitions. Judges generally mark more established partnerships such as Bryan Watson and Carmen or Joanna Leunis and Michal higher than new couples. It makes sense on one level, as their partnership is not as strong yet, but I think sometimes some newer couples are marked lower because of political reasons.

I wish them both success in their future dance careers. I was truly moved by their performance at the World Superstars Dance, so I will post that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment