Thursday, March 1, 2012

Edita Daniute retires from competitive dancing!


Edita Daniute
Credit: OptimusMorton

Edita Daniute, former amateur ballroom champion and partner of  Mirko Gozzoli has announced that she will be retiring from competitive dancing!

I am not that surprised she has retired as she does have a very young daughter and a husband who is a lawyer. I having a competitive dance career must have been difficult for her family. I think it is hard in general for a woman with a family and children to have a competitive dance career.

This is a portion from her interview with Dancesportinfo in 2010 on competing and having a family.

Edita:  No, it is complicated and difficult I must admit I miss my family and I miss my daughter very much and it is hard but I am getting something that will stay with me for all my life. I have my career and there is a choice. In the 2 years I stayed with my family I missed that very much and I regret that I lost my career. I could be getting old and sitting and crying I could have been this or I could be that but I did not do it or, instead, I can do what is right for my own satisfaction...There is nothing worse in life than someone who is not satisfied with their career. There are people who do not care about their career they even do not want a career and they concentrate on the family but I think for most dancers this is not the case. We are sportsmen, we are competitors and dreams which have not been fulfilled leave us angry and even change your character and therefore I decided to give it a go. It is not easy but I try to spend one week in every month with my family.

She is very beautiful and talented and I loved seeing her dance with her hair down! Wish her best in the future and I hope Mirko finds someone and continues to compete!

2 comments:

  1. When I heard the news on her retirement, I felt both sad and happy. I was sad because I will miss the woman who has the ability to move her long blonde hair along with her ballroom dress. And I’m happy because she can now spend time with her family. I wish her all the best, and I hope we can see her dance again in the future.


    Kalevi Hightower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kalevi,

      I agree! She is a wonderful dancer and her partnership with Mirko was very strong! They are no longer performing together either, but hopefully they might consider doing that in the future.

      Delete