Friday, December 24, 2010

Stefano di Fillipo is leaving the Italian dance federation (FIDS) to protest against competition restrictions


Photo credit: Valentin Behringer
  
Stefano di Fillipo, former Amateur World Champion is leaving the Italian dance federation, F.I.D.S. ( Federazione Italiana Danza Sportiva) to protest against competition restrictions.
The F.I.D.S. has banned it's dancers from competing in most elite Professional competitions in the world to accomodate Olympic entries for Dancesport. This means, no U.K, British and International Championships. Those competitions are under the World Dance Council.

The point is, the Stefano wants to be able to compete with the very best in the world, which would undoubtedly help him grow as a dancer.

His press release is here. Some of the points he makes are:

Recently I have been pressured not to dance in U.K. Competitions, and when on one occasion Olga and I were allowed to dance in England from our Federation, we found we have to suffer financial consequences after dancing !!??!!

It is with a heavy heart I find myself out of F.I.D.S. and i will not return back until my freedom and the general goodwill and fairness returns to the Italian dance system. This is not just about me, I believe in a fair open system which is for all of us, in every country and every federation!

I want to thank a reader who had commented on a previous post writing that Stefano is likely unable to compete with elite competitors, like Anna and Justinas due to restrictions on dancers imposed by F.I.D.S.

I also want to thank Donovan, who let me know that Stefano did not specify in press release that he was retiring. His press release also didn't say explicitly whether he would be dancing with the WDC. 

Hopefully we will see him on the dance floor soon.

I have met him and he is brilliant and way too young to retire.

Here is Stefano after winning his first Amateur Championship with Anna Melnikova in 2008. I think this honour dance is one of the best showcases of his talent.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't get the impression that Stefano was retiring from competitive dancing altogether. From my reading of the statement, Stefano is just going to stop dancing in FIDS (the Italian branch of IDSF) and start dancing in the WDC Professional League instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donovan,
    Thank you for your comment.
    Reading his press release again, I agree with you. He didn't specify he was retiring, just leaving the FIDS. I will make some changes with the post.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete